As a thriving church in Manchester, we want to be effective for the communities and city that we serve.
Part of this is taking action; reaching out and meeting the needs of families and groups of people who need to hear the good news about Jesus.
Another way that we can make a difference as a church is to pray for those we reach out to.
James 5:16 says “The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” As those who have been made righteous in Christ, this is a promise that we can take a hold of!
Prayer is an activity that builds our relationship with God, as we ask him to move in situations and to meet the needs of others, as well as making our own personal requests.
Here are some top tips for a great prayer life…
1. Make prayer part of your everyday and take time throughout the day to reflect and reach out to God. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (NIV). Commit your day to him, talk to him about the tasks you are doing, pray as you are driving, doing chores or out for a walk as well as taking a chunk of time out to spend reading the Bible and praying.
2. You might not always feel like praying – and that’s ok, we can all feel like that sometimes! The main thing is to persevere and reach out to Jesus and your feelings will follow your actions.
3. Most Christians can feel like they don’t pray enough and that thought can discourage you from trying. The main thing is to make a start and let your relationship with God grow as your confidence in prayer also develops.
4. Find what works for you. Some people like to go for a walk and pray, others find writing their prayers down to be helpful to stay focussed. Maybe you have a favourite chair or room in the house where you can be still and quiet.
5. Enjoy prayer! It is a joy, not a duty. God just wants to meet with you and hear what you have to say to him. It’s a privilege to be able to connect with the One who made the universe and yet who cares for each and every one of us. Your words don’t have to be long and complicated as what matters is opening your heart to God.
Here at Bethany Church, we believe in prayer! We meet every week on Wednesday 6:30-7:45pm to pray together for our world, for our nation and for our local community.
If you are looking for a church in Manchester , a place to worship God, pray with others and connect with other Christians, then come along one Sunday morning (or to one of our mid-week events) and check us out!
Bethany Church Manchester is a thriving Pentecostal Church in Manchester. We are a multi-National Church family and a fun place where you can be yourself and find God. Contact us here.